Vegan Pasta Salad, a Perfect Surprise Dinner Gift
Pasta is always a tempting dish. Many times, you may feel you can’t get enough of it. At the same time, you want to have something about pasta but a healthy one. That’s when you’ll likely think of pasta salad. And even better, a vegan pasta salad dish. Hmm, sounds good!
If your loved one is vegan or an yogi, what can be better than this? It can be a perfect gift idea as surprise birthday dinner for your yogi buddy if you are pulling your hair out trying to find an ideal yoga gift for him or for her.
This dish is a combination nutritious vegetables, fruits and seeds. And still, it can fill you up with yummy lentil vegan pasta. Trust me, you won’t regret. This is one of my favourite vegan dinner dishes that I make for my loved ones once in a while. And if you’re a big fan of pasta salad, you can make it your weekly dinner. Why not?
Note: I usually make some toasted butter garlic bread (vegan) to have with the salad. And, a glass of red wine. What can be more perfect than this surprise dinner gift for your yogi buddy?
Okay, let’s roll up our sleeves!
How to Make Vegan Pasta Salad
(Portions: 4 people)
- Vegan pasta: 1 box of 250grams. One of my favorites is vegan lentil pasta. You can find a good option on Amazon.
- Cherry tomatoes: 2 boxes, around 500 grams, cut each into half
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers or 2 medium-size Continental cucumbers
- 1 Capsicum, green or red, diced into 6mm pieces. Not a big deal red or green. Red if you like the dish to be colorful.
- Sliced and pitted black olives: 1 jar of 400 grams, save your time from slicing. Drained out.
- Fresh rocket leaves: optional but I highly recommend it.
- Red onion: half, medium-size, finely chopped.
- Sesame seeds: a handful, pan-grill quickly on a dry skillet, no oil. Do this while you’re preparing the vegetables.
- Avocado: 1, pilled, cut into half and then small cubes, for topping.
Seasoning and dressing:
- Olive oil: 1.5 - 2 tablespoons
- Balsamic vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice (optional): sprinkle
Step 1: Cook the pasta
- Boil water in a pot, pour in pasta into boiling water. Boil for around 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure pasta pieces not sticking to each other and not sticky to the bottom of the pot. Half open the lid. Taste to check if pasta is cooked to your liking.
- When it’s cooked, drain it out by a drainer bowl. Quickly rinse through cold water in two seconds. Season some salt, keep it mild, don’t put too much as you’ll also season salt on the salad later on.
Step 2: Make the salad
Meanwhile, after you’ve done the prep, put all the cherry tomato, cucumber, capsicum, black olive and red onion into a big bowl. Then throw in pasta and rocket leaves at last.
Season some salt and pepper to your liking. Mix them well but gently so that the pasta won’t be broken and the veggie won’t be smashed.
Step 3: Make the dressing
In a small bowl, put in 1.5 to 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar, some salt and pepper. Mix well.
Step 4: Last toss and topping
Pour the dressing to the salad bowl, together with the pan-grilled sesame seeds. Toss gently.
Serve the salad onto your favourite plates. Top with avocado cubes. Sprinkle some lemon juice (optional)
*Put 2 pieces of toasted butter garlic bread (gluten free) on the side of the dish to make it look more appetizing. Check out my five recipes of gluten free bread. This is my personal preference 😊 Bonus, a glass of wine will make your dinner more ‘adventurous’. Enjoy!